On the first sunday of 2010, aside from celebrating my 32nd birthday we will have another big leap of our wedding preps, the pamamanhikan. Pamamanhikan is a Filipino tradition for soon to be wed couples where the meeting of two families happens. Ours would be formality and have both parents/families meet and mingle.
H2b and I planned this to be a double celebration; it will be an early dinner as not to have a late get together because there's work the next day. Our objective: have a short and sweet meet up where both parties will still feel comfortable and at ease but at the same time will be able to discuss all that matters.
So how do you prepare for a pamamanhikan?
The list below is my opinion on how the bride-to-be should prepare for this day:
1) Set the time properly. Make sure that you won't have long hours of lull time or short talk time for important stuff.
2) Let your h2b know that they need to bring something. It's a tradition that the h2b's family will bring food to the b2b's family, most of the time it's the family's specialty food.
3) Prepare all the wedding related stuff. This helps avoid any argument from both families and can set the direction of the conversation. Let them know your plans: before, during and after the wedding.
4) Be yourself but dress well. In my humble POV, it's still a formal event you don't have to buy a gown or have your hair done at the salon. Just wear something nice and comfortable. Your h2b's family will be appreciative that you value their visit and prepare not just the food but yourself as well.
5) Enjoy. This is just the beginning of having them all together, savor the first!
In all honesty I am anxious and tense for this day, I even started looking for the proper dress to wear and thinking already of what food to prepare. Hope everything will end up fine, so before this h2b and I will have our year ender wedding prep meeting to set everything up. ^_^